One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
1Relating to the Levites or the tribe of Levi.‘a Levitical priest’
- ‘He wasn't born into the Levitical priesthood which was for the nation of Israel, but came in the priesthood of Melchizedek, the priesthood for all mankind.’
- ‘The Levitical priesthood was not intended as an end in itself.’
- ‘To further protect the many from the few, Moses did not give the Levitical tribes an equal share of the land.’
- ‘From early in church history there have been reports, often denied, that Mary was of Levitical stock.’
- ‘The Chronicler sees the primary achievement of David and Solomon as the construction of the temple and the establishment of the types of clergy that were active in his day: priests, Levites, Levitical singers, and Levitical gatekeepers.’
- ‘What is involved is what Tillard calls an ‘existential priesthood’ as distinct from (but not over against) the cultic, Levitical type.’
- ‘A Levitical priest's work was terminated by death, but now ‘we have a great high priest, who has gone through the heavens, Jesus the Son of God’.’
(of a rule of conduct, temple ritual, etc.) derived from the biblical Book of Leviticus.‘a Levitical edict’
- ‘According to the Levitical purity system, blindness implied, first of all, an exclusion from the political religious system.’
- ‘This perception of blindness in terms of social exclusion appears in some passages of the Israelite literature that presuppose the Levitical health care system.’
- ‘Actually, I stopped eating pork after Dave referred me to the Levitical clean and unclean meats.’
- ‘The Deuteronomic and Levitical codes were prophetically inspired reinterpretations of the Torah by the priestly writers.’
- ‘In the Levitical health care system, for example, some chronic diseases, such as leprosy, attached to the sick person a stigma that required his or her exclusion from the community.’
Mid 16th century: via late Latin from Greek levitikos, from Levi (see Levite), + -al.
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.