One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Relating to a method of childbirth involving exercises and breathing control to give pain relief without drugs.
- ‘I'm a part-time Lamaze childbirth educator who thoroughly enjoyed and was empowered by Peggy's editorial.’
- ‘These guideposts transformed my negative thoughts into useful work, the way Lamaze mothers learn to re-imagine labor pains as muscle contractions.’
- ‘I'm breathing like a Lamaze instructor (puff, puff, puff) because I'm not quite sure how I'm supposed to be breathing.’
- ‘But things have moved on, and while birthing experts such as the National Childbirth Trust acknowledge Lamaze's contribution to the field, they tend to view his breathing techniques as rather old hat.’
- ‘Pregnant women take Lamaze courses not because what they learn will quell their labor pains, but because knowing what to expect helps them to handle the pain.’
- ‘At those times when he is home in a rambling house in California, he has to contend with his live-in girlfriend Dotty who is in a state of advanced pregnancy and trying to get Thorson to take a more active role in Lamaze classes.’
- ‘I found a book in French about the Lamaze method of childbirth.’
- ‘I finally pull into the parking lot at work, I'm early and the place is nearly deserted so no one sees me practicing some bizarre form of Lamaze breathing as I walk up the ramp and into the doors.’
- ‘I attended Lamaze classes to prepare myself for birth without medication, and I knew I would breastfeed my baby.’
- ‘The lovely wife, I learned one night after Lamaze class, was pregnant.’
- ‘Couples like Tenisha and Michael can't go to couples therapy or to joint counseling about what kind of contraception to use, or show up for prenatal appointments or Lamaze classes together.’
- ‘Also, asthma shouldn't interfere with your ability to do Lamaze breathing techniques.’
- ‘Group members helped each other learn how to cut up big pills so they were easier to swallow and to use Lamaze breathing during a spinal tap.’
- ‘Rachael began mimicking Lamaze breathing techniques, which received odd glares from the rest of them.’
- ‘In the process of birth, according to the Lamaze method, there is a stage of labor called transition.’
- ‘Speaking of support, how do we feel about Lamaze classes?’
- ‘By the 1960s, reformers were promoting such innovations as Lamaze breathing techniques, birthing at home, the presence of fathers during birth, and the utilization of nurse-midwives instead of doctors.’
- ‘Only one published report showed no improvement over Lamaze technique from the addition of hypnosis, though both LaMaze and hypnosis alone lessened pain equally during labor.’
- ‘By the end, our little group is gasping like a Lamaze breathing class.’
- ‘‘Please,’ she begs, breathing heavily, trying to remember the few Lamaze techniques she learned.’
1950s: from the name of Fernand Lamaze (1891–1957), French physician.
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.