Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
One of five points in the plane of orbit of one body around another (e.g. the moon around the earth) at which a small third body can remain stationary with respect to both.
- ‘As an important side benefit, interplanetary trajectories that begin at Lagrangian points require very little fuel to reach other Lagrangian points or even other planets.’
- ‘Its space segment will be composed of a group of X-ray telescopes based around one of the libration points or Lagrangian points.’
- ‘Herschel, Planck and Gaia are all observatory missions that will be positioned at the Lagrangian point L2, 1.5 million kilometres behind Earth as seen from the Sun.’
- ‘Finding asteroids on Saturn's Lagrangian points is difficult and has not yet been accomplished.’
- ‘The WSO approach would put a UV-only telescope at the second Lagrangian point of the Earth-Sun system, with an optical design of the Ritchey-Chretien type and a 1.7-m hyperbolic primary mirror.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.