Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A region of the solar system beyond the orbit of Neptune, believed to contain many comets, asteroids, and other small bodies made largely of ice.
- ‘The objects in the Kuiper belt represent remnants from the formation of our solar system.’
- ‘Scientists speculate that it could be a body from the distant Kuiper belt, way out in the outer solar system.’
- ‘If Pluto were discovered today, it may not have been called a planet, because it is just one among a myriad of objects in the Kuiper belt.’
- ‘The Kuiper belt is an icy asteroid belt just beyond Neptune.’
- ‘For one thing, astronomers discovered the Kuiper belt, a teeming ensemble of miniature worlds within which Pluto orbits.’
1990s: named after Gerard P. Kuiper (1905–73), Dutch-born US astronomer.
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.