Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A syndrome affecting males in which the cells have an extra X chromosome (in addition to the normal XY), characterized by a tall thin physique, small infertile testes, and enlarged breasts.
- ‘In Klinefelter's syndrome, for instance, the presence of several X chromosomes and one Y chromosome sometimes results in sexual ‘ambiguity’.’
- ‘For example, a screening check of Down's Syndrome might pick up the extra X chromosome that occurs in Chris's condition, Klinefelter's syndrome.’
- ‘It is associated with breast and testicular abnormalities, infertility and Klinefelter's syndrome, a genetic abnormality in which men have one or more extra X chromosomes.’
- ‘Risk factors for breast cancer in men suggest a hormonal imbalance, and up to 20 percent of male breast cancer cases have been associated with Klinefelter's syndrome.’
- ‘Men born with a genetic disorder called Klinefelter's syndrome often develop gynecomastia, as do males with adrenal tumors and liver disease.’
1940s: named after Harry F. Klinefelter (born 1912), American physician.
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.