One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
1(in the Christian Church) a name or form of address for God.
- ‘God is Lord Almighty, Omnipotent King, Lion of Judah, Rock of Ages, Prince of Peace, King of Kings, Lord of Lords, Provider, Protector, Paternal Leader, Ruling Lord and Reigning King of all the universe.’
- ‘May Her Majesty enter into glory in the court of the Lord of Lords and the King of Kings.’
- ‘For all pennies are stamped with the image of the King, just as all men bear the image of the King of Kings.’
2A title assumed by certain kings who rule over lesser kings.
- ‘Ramesses the Great, King of Kings, is traditionally believed to be the Pharaoh of the Israelite Exodus from Egypt.’
- ‘It is in the life of Yayati, King of Kings, that we find the guidance we need.’
- ‘My name is Ozymandias, King of Kings, gaze on my work, ye mighty, and despair.’
- ‘From the King of Kings of the East and West, the Great Khan.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.