One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
1A member of an indigenous people living in the Karakalpak autonomous republic of Russia, south of the Aral Sea.
- ‘These examples show that the princes on the throne of Kiev were obliged to get on well with Karakalpaks.’
- ‘Before the Russian Revolution of 1917, the Karakalpaks were a loose alliance of semi-nomadic tribes.’
- ‘Dating is rare among the Karakalpaks, except for those living in large cities such as Nukus.’
- ‘In Uzbekistan, the principal weavers are Uzbeks, Kirgyz, Arabs, Karakalpaks and some Turkmen.’
- ‘The next step was to assemble some 40 international musicians and set up a plan that would bring the unfamiliar music of Afghans, Karakalpaks, Kazakhs, Turkmens, and other Silk Road cultures to audiences everywhere.’
- ‘The Karakalpaks, who live in the desert south of the Aral Sea, have a separate language and tradition more akin to Kazakh than Uzbek.’
2mass noun The Turkic language of the Karakalpaks, with about 300,000 speakers.
- ‘Even an entry in one of the country's minority languages Karakalpak, spoken in the far west near the decaying Aral Sea was a victor one month.’
- ‘Karakalpak is spoken mainly in the Karakalpakstan Autonomous Republic of Uzbekistan.’
Relating to the Karakalpaks or their language.
- ‘The Karakalpak tribes have not taken up arms since the Basmachi revolts on their territory in 1918-1920.’
- ‘The ancient headdress of Karakalpak women in a form of a helmet - saukele was put over kiymeshek.’
- ‘Not surprisingly it has become the centre piece of a whole branch of Karakalpak culture and folk lore.’
- ‘The Shamuratovs' House-museum represents the Karakalpak culture of the period when common working people and public masses were involved in creating their culture.’
- ‘A similar picture prevails in the Karakalpak part of the Aral Sea basin, where the Muinak fish cannery continues to operate on imported ocean fish of low grade.’
- ‘Newspapers, magazines, and books are printed in the Karakalpak language.’
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.