Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
1A member of a people living mainly in north-western Zambia.
- ‘The creature was described by the Kaonde of old as a huge red lizard with membranous wings like a bat spreading five or more feet, and with teeth in its huge beak.’
- ‘Their language is indeed called Chikaonde at times -- but generally not by the Kaondes themselves.’
- ‘Major tribes are the Tonga in the S; the Kaonde in the NW; and the Bemba, Bisa, and Lala in the NE.’
- ‘The Kaonde are primarily cultivators, but with a strong hunting tradition.’
2[mass noun] The Bantu language of the Kaonde, with around 200,000 speakers.
- ‘The papers - Imbila, a Bemba production, Ngoma in Lunda, Luvale and Kaonde, Intanda in Tonga, Lukanga in Lenje and Liseli in Lozi and Tsopano in Nyanja - should help fill the information gap in rural areas.’
- ‘We were taught Bemba, Nyanja, Kaonde, Lozi, the customs of our communities, the dances, the technology for agriculture that contributed to self reliance.’
- ‘The website will therefore contain information in all the official languages of Zambia, namely, Bemba, Nyanja, Tonga, Lozi, Kaonde, Luvale, Lunda and English.’
- ‘Available in English, Nyanja, Bemba, Lozi, Tonga, Luvale, Kaonde, and Lunda.’
- ‘There are seven major vernacular languages which include: Luvale, Lunda, Bemba, Lozi, Kaonde, Tonga and Nyanja.’
Relating to the Kaonde or their language.
- ‘Oliya Band had a passion for the promotion of the Kaonde, the Lamba and the Bemba traditional norms and culture through music.’
- ‘Recollectively, in the 1940-60s, the mining companies drew their employees chiefly from such impassive ethnics as Bemba, Lala, Ngoni, Namwanga, Mambwe, and later from the Kaonde tribe.’
- ‘Senior Chief Kasempa of the Kaonde people is also happy with Government efforts to reduce poverty levels in the province through infrastructure development and provision of social services.’
- ‘In May, the Kaonde tribe of north-western Zambia celebrate the royal ceremony of Kufukwila.’
- ‘He and his wife went to the Kaonde people to introduce Christ as a Savior to those that would listen.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.