One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
1A member of an indigenous people living in northern Burma (Myanmar) and adjacent parts of China and India.
- ‘Shelby Tucker has examined ethnic and cultural diversities and mentioned the social and cultural milieu of the Kokangs, Was, Akhas, Lahus, Karens, Rakhines, Chins, Kachins and Mons in the backdrop of ethnic Burmans.’
- ‘Ethnic Burmese form the majority at 67.4%, and the remainder includes the Shans, Rakhines, Mons, Chins, Kachins and the Kayahs.’
- ‘In tribute to the Kachins ' help in World War Two, veterans of the U.S. Office of Strategic Service helped establish this program with funding from the U.S. Congress.’
- ‘Detachment 101 began working with the Kachins behind enemy lines in Burma in December 1942.’
- ‘The Allies supported Burmese guerrillas (largely composed of Kachins, Karens, Shans, Chins, Lushais, and Palaungs), who were able to wreak havoc behind Japanese lines.’
- ‘Although they were cited officially only by the Americans, the Kachins were heavily involved in the heterogenous China-Burma-India theater.’
- ‘From that remote outpost, they were to expand the partisan war in Burma by advising and supporting the Kachins in conducting guerrilla warfare behind Japanese lines.’
- ‘They are Kachins who are dying to speak to someone.’
- ‘But groups with their own states include the Karens, Chins, Shans, Kayahs, Arakanese, Mons and Kachins, and retain their distinctive culture and rural customs.’
- ‘Perhaps 3 million Burmese, mostly Karens, Kachins, Chins, and Lisu, are Christians who accept animistic rituals like the Burmans, who are mostly Theravada Buddhists.’
2mass noun The Tibeto-Burman language of the Kachin people, with about 500,000 speakers.
- ‘There is one similar spoken language or dialect which shares the same language code: Kachin.’
- ‘Kachin is the main language among Kachin people and even some people of other ethnicities can speak Kachin.’
Relating to the Kachin or their language.
- ‘They were tracking pro-democracy Kachin guerrillas through the jungle.’
- ‘The population was mainly Burman, with large Karen and Shan minorities and Chin, Kachin, and Naga hill tribes.’
- ‘We rode on forward and both of us were expecting a shot at any moment, but as we approached I saw that they were not Japanese but Kachin.’
- ‘Each base commander recruited and trained small Kachin elements for his personal protection, for internal defense, and for conducting limited operations - principally sabotage and small ambushes.’
- ‘They sneak over the border with something they have taken from the Naga or Kachin tribes - a bearskin shield, a wooden mask - and trade it for salt.’
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.