Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
The ancient Jewish tradition of mystical interpretation of the Bible, first transmitted orally and using esoteric methods (including ciphers). It reached the height of its influence in the later Middle Ages and remains significant in Hasidism.
the supernatural, the paranormal, supernaturalism, magic, black magic, witchcraft, sorcery, necromancy, wizardry, the black arts, cabbalism, occultism, diabolism, devil worship, devilry, voodoo, hoodoo, white magic, witchery, witching, orenda, mysticismView synonyms
- ‘The titular reference is to what she learned from her grandfather, a rabbi and scholar of the Kabbalah.’
- ‘His study correlates the Enneagram with the Jewish Kabbalah's Tree of Life.’
- ‘And her life has been enhanced through her study of 13th century Jewish mysticism called Kabbalah.’
- ‘The whole of the Kabbala series is sparkling treasure!’
- ‘In the Cabala, the Quaternical system is the Tetragrammaton, the four-letter name of God, commonly pronounced Yahweh or Jehovah.’
- ‘Thus far she has used Catholic iconography and explored Buddhism, and is now studying Kabbala, an ancient Jewish mystical tradition.’
- ‘The rabbi, in turn, offers lessons in Yiddish and Kabbalah, a form of Jewish mysticism.’
- ‘It's very characteristic of Judaism and of the Kabbalah, the Jewish mystical tradition.’
- ‘The Cabala was a Jewish mysticism which was influential from the 12th century on.’
- ‘He then embarked on intensive study, first of the philosophy of Maimonides (too rational), then of the esoteric Kabbala, which was rather more to his taste.’
From medieval Latin cabala, cabbala, from Rabbinical Hebrew qabbālāh ‘tradition’, from qibbēl ‘receive, accept’.
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.