One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A dessert apple of a variety with greenish-gold skin and crisp flesh.
- ‘She did these tests on more than 138,000 pounds of Gala, Jonagold, Braeburn, Granny Smith, Fuji, and Golden and Red Delicious apples.’
- ‘Red Delicious apples comprise 40% of the 3-million cartons grown here, followed by Fujis, Golden Delicious and Jonagold.’
- ‘In cold storage, some apples (notably Jonagold and Bramley) will stay perfect for up to a year.’
- ‘Irish eating apples are in full season now with popular varieties including Jonagold, Elstar and Jonagored.’
- ‘The Jonagold is a modern, contrived cross between Jonathan and Golden Delicious parents.’
- ‘McIntosh apples are found on most of the course, but the Empires along the third and Jonagolds beside the eighth are even tastier, one player told us as he stuffed what seemed like a bushel into his golf bag.’
- ‘At the shop, I bought six superb steaks from Sussex cattle which had been born and nurtured on site, and a Jonagold apple from the orchard on the hill.’
1960s: blend of Jonathan and Golden Delicious.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.