Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A complex ancient calendar in use among Jewish people.
- ‘The holiday of Purim is one of the most festive on the Jewish calendar.’
- ‘The Jewish calendar, largely lunar, has a cycle of intercalation that contains 7 leap years during each 19-year period.’
- ‘The Maharal, the great 16th century philosopher, comments that the Jewish calendar can be divided into two sections.’
- ‘I know I've already missed Chinese New Year, but when does the year begin on the Jewish calendar?’
- ‘Yom Kippur, the holiest day on the Jewish calendar, starts at sunset tomorrow, and the three-game series at San Francisco begins that night.’
- ‘All holidays on the Jewish calendar, especially Passover, celebrate and reinforce this collective identity.’
- ‘It is no wonder therefore that Jews marked the day of his death as a sad day on the Jewish calendar.’
- ‘Do you follow the Jewish calendar or the secular calendar?’
- ‘Now the Mishnah continues to the next day of importance in the Jewish calendar, Tu B'Av.’
- ‘According to the Jewish calendar, the year is 5749.’
- ‘The Bible forbids the Jews to participate in his festival, but Tammuz is still retained as a month name in the Jewish calendar.’
- ‘The Jewish calendar is a combined moon and sun calendar, unlike the conventional Western calendar.’
- ‘It was the only day in the Jewish calendar when the high priest could enter the innermost room of the temple - the most holy place.’
- ‘The present Jewish calendar uses the 19-year Metonic cycle made up of 12 common years and 7 leap years.’
- ‘In 1973, Egypt and Syria attacked Israel on the holiest day of the Jewish calendar, Yom Kippur.’
- ‘My faith started its celebration of the New Year last night, marking the 5, 765th year on the Jewish calendar.’
- ‘The sixth month of the Jewish calendar is called Adar, and in leap years there are two Adars called Adar I and Adar II.’
- ‘The Jewish calendar, a highly complex system, is ‘lunisolar ‘, where the years are solar and months lunar.’
- ‘Passover is one of the biggest events in the Jewish calendar.’
- ‘What is the significance of basing the Jewish calendar on the moon?’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.