Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A type of ashtanga yoga focusing on the correct alignment of the body, making use of straps, wooden blocks, and other objects as aids to achieving the correct postures.
- ‘Iyengar - The main focus of Iyengar yoga is precise alignment of muscles, bones and joints.’
- ‘I've been doing Iyengar yoga as a supplement to martial arts, because I have terrible breath control and trouble with foot cramps.’
- ‘She is certified by Integrative Yoga Therapy and is trained in both the Iyengar and Ashtanga traditions.’
- ‘They did 90 minutes of Iyengar yoga three times a week, resulting in lowered pain severity and less need for medication, along with a boost in mood.’
- ‘Iyengar, taken from the teachings of yoga guru B.K.S. Iyengar, emphasizes proper alignment in each posture for balance and strength, with the extensive use of props to assist people in maximizing their abilities in each posture.’
Named after B. K. S. Iyengar (1918–2014), the Indian yoga teacher who devised this method.
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.