One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A language family of eastern North America, including Cherokee and Mohawk. With the exception of Cherokee, all its members are extinct or nearly so.
Relating to the Iroquois people or the Iroquoian language family.
- ‘While the analysis of the women from the Brandon site suggests an affiliation with eastern groups, possibly Iroquoian, the man from the Olson site is of local, possibly Algonquian, origin.’
- ‘Hallowell found scanty evidence for bear ceremonialism in the Central Algonquian region, and failed to report any among Northern Iroquoian speakers.’
- ‘An additional 5,000 Iroquois reside in Canada, where there are two Iroquoian reservations.’
- ‘‘Kanata! ‘said Mukwok sarcastically though it was an Iroquoian term.’’
- ‘The Cherokee language belongs to the Iroquoian family of languages and is therefore related to Mohawk, Seneca, Onondaga, Oneida, Cayuga, and Tuscarora, among others.’
- ‘He was raised in the Handsome Lake Longhouse religion of his Iroquoian ancestors.’
- ‘An Iroquoian culture hero, he converted to the cause of Deganawida, another culture hero who had taken on as his mission no less than the cessation of feuding among Mohawk, Seneca, Oneida, and others.’
- ‘There must be terms in the Algonquinian or Iroquoian or other language families for this object.’
- ‘Archaeological evidence of possible feasts involving the bear, especially the brain, has accumulated at sites across the Northeast from various time periods, involving both Northern Iroquoian and Algonquian peoples.’
- ‘Walk through the displays of artifacts and see what Iroquoian life was like in the 17th century.’
- ‘Infant burials in high proportions also have been documented in Iroquoian longhouses.’
- ‘In regards to exact cultural affiliation, Stothers has argued that an Iroquoian affiliation is likely for this time period on the basis of material culture similarities with contemporaneous cultures to the east.’
- ‘This piece uses Iroquoian song and dance in an exploration of the cycle of life and our links to the natural world.’
- ‘In most Iroquoian versions, good finally triumphs over evil but only after a titanic struggle of rock-throwing and tree-uprooting that creates mountains and rivers and the other features of the natural landscape.’
- ‘As both superintendent of Indian Affairs and commander of the victorious, he was determined to limit French influence in Iroquoian.’
- ‘Part of the garden will be devoted to Iroquoian horticulture, while other plants will call to mind the northern region of the Inuit.’
- ‘The Algonquian term manitou, the Iroquoian orenda, and the Siouan wakanda all refer to it.’
- ‘Cultural affiliations for the Olson male would be Algonquian based on affinities with a lower probability of a Siouan and even less for an Iroquoian relationship.’
- ‘Among western Iroquoian groups like the Huron and Neutral, men held a greater balance of the power in society.’
- ‘This expedition wintered near present Quebec City and kidnapped local Iroquoian people to be exhibited as trophies in France.’
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.