One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
1Relating to or denoting the most recent interglacial period of the Pleistocene in Britain, preceding the Devensian glaciation and identified with the Eemian of northern Europe.
- ‘Preceding and separating the cold glacial periods were three main interglacials (Cromerian, Hoxnian, and Ipswichian) when the climate was rather warmer.’
- ‘This rate of erosion would suggest that the breaching of the chalk ridge occurred rapidly during the previous Ipswichian interglacial, when nearly half of the gap between the present Isle of Purbeck and Isle of Wight would have developed.’
- ‘The history of the last glacial-inlerglacial cycle in west Cumbria is better understood than preceding cycles, and an outline chronology from the Ipswichian onwards is given in Table 1.’
- ‘The spruce, which characterises this period on the continent, is absent from British Ipswichian sites.’
- ‘It is clear that, although significant erosion has occurred since the Ipswichian, the resultant effect on land elevation is not very marked.’
- 1.1as noun the Ipswichian The Ipswichian interglacial or the system of deposits laid down during it.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.