Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
- another term for orfe
- ‘It is to be stocked with carp, bream, tench and ide, the carp total being twice the amount of any other species.’
- ‘There are also chub, ide, rudd, grass carp, cat fish, tench and specimen carp on site in the various waters.’
- ‘Unfortunately, carp did not show such enthusiasm and it was left to the ide, chub and orfe to provide the bulk of some respectable hauls.’
- ‘Nature has pre-stocked this cosy spot with salmon, sea trout, bream, roach, ide, crucians…… and pike.’
- ‘It is very much a mixed fishery holding; common, mirror, grass and crucian carp with roach, rudd, chub, dace, perch, bream, tench and ide.’
Mid 19th century: from modern Latin idus, from Swedish id.
Integrated Drive Electronics, a standard for interfacing computers and their peripherals.
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.