One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
1Relating to or denoting an interglacial period of the Pleistocene in Britain, following the Anglian glaciation and identified with the Holsteinian of northern Europe.
- ‘The Anglian glaciation was followed, about 400,000 years ago, by a warm stage traditionally called the Hoxnian interglacial.’
- ‘After the Hoxnian interglacial there followed a complex series of glacial/interglacial events during which, in some warm periods, Britain may well have become an island.’
- ‘This also supports the Hoxnian dating attribution derived from the vole clock.’
- ‘From the Hoxnian interglacial with its rich sites, each subsequent interglacial indicates a lesser human presence.’
- ‘He regarded the patella beach (the one featured in the photos) to be Hoxnian in age.’
- 1.1as noun the Hoxnian The Hoxnian interglacial or the system of deposits laid down during it.
1950s: from Hoxne, the name of a village in Suffolk, + -ian.
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.