One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A succulent mat-forming plant with bright yellow or lilac daisy-like flowers and edible fruit. It is native to South Africa and frequently naturalized on coastal cliffs in Europe.
- ‘There are two species of Hottentot figs that have naturalized in Europe.’
- ‘Ice plants are also known as Hottentot figs, which amuses me greatly for no particular reason.’
- ‘In the past few years we've grown Hottentot figs along the road.’
- ‘The owner believed that the Hottentot fig was protecting the cliff from erosion and was not prepared to allow access by contractors.’
- ‘The Hottentot fig, from South Africa, is spreading across sites of special scientific interest, putting native plants at risk.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.