Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
The day on which the feast of the Exaltation of the Cross is held, 14 September.
- ‘The first service was an early morning Eucharist in celebration of Holy Cross Day.’
- ‘Additionally, we recognize and commemorate events like: Black history month in February; Home Coming - the second Sunday in September, when we observe our Feast of Title or Holy Cross Day; Harvest is also another feast which we celebrate on the last Sunday of October.’
- ‘The whole 40-day period between Transfiguration Day and Holy Cross Day became a time of pilgrimage to welcome the autumn season.’
- ‘Just as the various St. Peter's churches celebrate St. Peter's feast day in a special way, we observe Holy Cross Day.’
- ‘On September 14, the Bulgarian Orthodox Church marks the Holy Cross Day.’
- ‘A few years later on Holy Cross Day, Thursday, September 14, 1876, the church was consecrated by Bishop Scarborough.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.