Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A former duchy of the German kingdom of Saxony, situated in the southern part of the Jutland peninsula. A duchy of Denmark from 1474, it was taken by Prussia in 1866 and incorporated with the neighbouring duchy of Schleswig as the province of Schleswig-Holstein.
An animal of a black-and-white breed of large dairy cattle, originally raised in Friesland.
- ‘Much of his collection deals with important livestock such as Holstein cattle and Yorkshire pigs.’
- ‘Cheese is huge business in a town where the community of Holsteins and Jerseys rivals the human population in size, where the high school's team name is the Cheesemakers.’
- ‘With a combined total of 25,000 Holstein cows including replacement heifers, Braum's owns its own milking herd of 10,000 cows.’
- ‘His winning Holstein cow snatched the prize for the supreme cattle champion.’
- ‘When he and his family came to Canada five years ago, they built a barn, acquired 80 Holsteins and got to work.’
- ‘Crossbreeding refers to breeding different types of cows, like a Holstein and a Jersey.’
- ‘Entries have been particularly strong in the Limousin and Holstein cattle breeds and in the Texel and Suffolk sheep categories.’
- ‘Twenty-three hundred Holstein cattle were maintained at the dairy with 1300 cows milked three times daily.’
- ‘Cross-breeding Holstein dairy cows with Jerseys is boosting milk income on Pembrokeshire's spring calving farms.’
- ‘Its 6,000 Holstein cattle loll in the sun waiting to be milked.’
- ‘Without grain in summer, the Holsteins and Jerseys got too skinny.’
- ‘The farmer says the Holstein's fodder must be of high quality.’
- ‘He once had a conventional dairy with 40 Holsteins in a stall barn.’
- ‘Raw milk supply is not an issue - the company processes milk from its own herd of 1,300 Holsteins.’
- ‘On the other side of a barbed wire fence, a herd of Holsteins turns its full attention to the noisy newcomers.’
- ‘Still, most Wisconsin dairy producers favor Holsteins over Jerseys.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.