One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
(in Scotland) New Year's Eve, and the celebrations that take place at this time.
- ‘On Hogmanay I met my neighbour twice, swirling through the crowd at the local hall.’
- ‘Edinburgh's Hogmanay is now a brilliant party and Scotland's other cities have an open invitation to join it.’
- ‘I have a theory that that's the reason why Hogmanay is more important in Scotland than New Year's Day.’
- ‘The City of Edinburgh Council has mooted an art festival to coincide with Edinburgh's Hogmanay as part of its visual arts strategy.’
- ‘It's a uniquely Scottish celebration - at Hogmanay everyone really enters into the spirit of it.’
- ‘I recall on the millennium Hogmanay he chose to attend a local Glasgow street party.’
- ‘Until 1998 Scotland broadcast its Hogmanay celebrations to the whole of the UK.’
- ‘Today, Edinburgh's Hogmanay is the biggest New Year party in Europe.’
- ‘She added that there would be special provisions for major events such as the Hogmanay celebrations in the centre of the city.’
- ‘The year of millennium celebrations comes to an end with the biggest and best Hogmanay and New Year bash that Scotland has seen.’
- ‘The first Hogmanay after her recovery, Robin proposed to her in the Balmoral hotel, Edinburgh, against a background of fireworks.’
- ‘Ally and Blair are off to Scotland for Christmas and Hogmanay with Blair's family so today is the last day that the we can all get together for a meal.’
- ‘So instead, I'm planning on going to a house party to celebrate Hogmanay with some friends (inside where it is warm).’
- ‘What is central to Hogmanay is the idea of giving, exchange, celebration, enjoyment, even kissing.’
- ‘Grant, 23, had bought a ring he had chosen with Pamela, also 23, and planned to present it to her on Hogmanay, but was unable to keep it a secret.’
- ‘At Hogmanay, I'm a bit of a traditionalist, and like to see the bells in with my parents.’
- ‘An established festival like Hogmanay is a winner.’
- ‘But within days she flew to Scotland for Hogmanay with an actor, and three rock stars.’
- ‘New Year's Eve, called Hogmanay, has long been the main midwinter celebration.’
- ‘However, the biggest celebration of all is planned for Hogmanay, when Glasgow plans to show the rest of the world how to party.’
Early 17th century: perhaps from hoguinané, Norman French form of Old French aguillanneuf ‘last day of the year, new year's gift’.
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.