Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A US citizen or resident of Hispanic descent.
- ‘How many Hispanic Americans are in the United States?’
- ‘Nearly 60 percent of Hispanic Americans are of Mexican descent.’
- ‘African Americans, Hispanic Americans, and Asian Americans have a higher risk of stroke than nonHispanic whites.’
- ‘It was a Noah's Ark of Americans: African-Americans and whites, Hispanic Americans and Asians, and men and women I am sure of every faith.’
- ‘African American, Asian American, and white elderly patients appear to use critical care similarly, and less than Hispanic Americans.’
- ‘Cuban Americans are better off financially than other Hispanic Americans and nearly as well off as the average American.’
- ‘For Hispanic Americans, the figure is a mere 10 percent.’
- ‘Nationwide, the average dropout rate for Hispanic Americans already stands at a staggering 30 percent, nearly four times that of white students.’
- ‘Everybody knows Hispanic Americans are a critical constituency - not just in this election but in every election to come.’
- ‘But for us, Mexicans, Spaniards and Hispanic Americans, what is certain is that language is a factor of pride and unity.’
- ‘Sickle cell disease affects about 1 in 500 African Americans and 1 in 1,000 Hispanic Americans.’
- ‘No less than 37 Hispanic Americans have received the Medal of Honor, America's highest military decoration.’
- ‘Latinos, or Hispanic Americans, constitute the second-largest and most rapidly growing distinctive ethnic group in the United States.’
- ‘African Americans, Hispanic Americans, women, and laborers all can attest to this fact.’
- ‘Asian Americans have fewer birth defects than Native Americans, Caucasians, or African Americans, but more than Hispanic Americans.’
- ‘This may be in part because Hispanic Americans have a slightly higher consumption of vitamin D than African Americans, as well as lighter skin.’
- ‘Mexican Americans form the largest group of Hispanic Americans, at over 12,000,000.’
- ‘Like other Hispanic Americans, Panamanians greet friends and relatives more demonstratively than is the custom in the United States.’
Relating to Hispanic Americans.
- ‘Traditional medical remedies are readily available in many areas with large Hispanic American populations.’
- ‘It's starting to creep into the African American and Hispanic American communities.’
- ‘Among the sample, 45% were African American, 45% were white, 5% were Hispanic American, and 5% were Asian American.’
- ‘Robinson said the company was considering ways to broaden its media reach and better target diverse audiences like the burgeoning Hispanic American community.’
- ‘African-American and Hispanic American students, on the other hand, favored consumer goods and pharmaceutical companies like Johnson & Johnson and Coca-Cola.’
- ‘They are models of certain important continuities of Hispanic American life throughout time.’
- ‘She was the first Hispanic American to serve as a judge in New York's Southern District.’
- ‘In all, 27 minority office-seekers, predominantly Hispanic American, received money, mostly small donations.’
- ‘Martinez is a bona-fide American hero and the first Hispanic American since Vietnam to receive the Navy Cross.’
- ‘Furthermore, the Hispanic American economy in the US generates almost $400 billion a year - more than the Gross National Product of Mexico.’
- ‘She is the only Hispanic American woman to write for major U.S. publishing houses, including Dell, Bantam, and Harper.’
- ‘African-American and Hispanic American students will graduate with more debt than a white student.’
- ‘McKay likes to entertain the possibility that he may have been Hispanic American because ‘then you might get some native American, too‘.’
- ‘The reported ethnic backgrounds of the children were African American, European American, and Hispanic American.’
- ‘Debate raged over whether Asian American and Hispanic American immigrant children should be taught in English or in their own languages.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.