One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A congenital condition in which the rectum and part of the colon fail to develop a normal system of nerves, leading to an accumulation of faeces in the colon following birth.
- ‘Anorectal manometry is indicated to demonstrate the rectoanal inhibitory reflex and to rule out Hirschsprung's disease.’
- ‘Rarely, vomiting is caused by disordered motility states, the most common of which is Hirschsprung's disease.’
- ‘Children with an organic cause for constipation, such as Hirschsprung's disease, were excluded.’
- ‘In children younger than one year of age, the possibility of Hirschsprung's disease must be considered.’
- ‘The most common associated conditions include Hirschsprung's disease and imperforate anus.’
Early 20th century: named after Harald Hirschsprung (1830–1916), Danish paediatrician.
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.