One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A member of a Moravian Church.
- ‘In the church, built in 1914, you can see the organ that dates back to the time of the Herrnhuters.’
- ‘He found the teaching of the Herrnhuters too restrictive, however, because the faculty refused to lecture on current intellectual trends.’
- ‘In a letter to George Reimer in 1802 he wrote, ‘I have become a Herrnhuter again, only of a higher order.’’
- ‘Andreas Gestrich and Carola Wessel detail the variant experiences of Herrnhuters in eighteenth-century Russia and the upper Ohio Valley, respectively.’
- ‘Since the manuscript was transcribed by members of the Herrnhuter movement, it can be concluded that the author of this tale, J. Pulan, was also a member of this movement.’
Mid 18th century: German, from Herrnhut (literally ‘the Lord's keeping’), the name of the first German settlement of the Moravian Church.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.