One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
1A large order of insects that comprises the true bugs, which include aphids, cicadas, leafhoppers, and many others. They have piercing and sucking mouthparts and incomplete metamorphosis.
- ‘Structure and function of these mouthparts suggests they are the sister group to the Hemiptera, but thrips plesiomorphically possess maxillary and labial palps that all hemipterans have lost.’
- ‘Diets of little brown myotis and eastern pipistrelles were highly diverse, consuming an even proportion of six orders of insects including Coleoptera, Hemiptera, Lepidoptera, Homoptera, Diptera, Hymenoptera, and Tricoptera.’
- ‘Based on specimens in the Spencer Entomological Museum, one provincial record and one territorial record are added to the recent checklist of Canadian Hemiptera.’
- ‘The polymorphism is common in many insect groups, most notably the Hemiptera/Homoptera, Coleoptera and, Orthoptera.’
- ‘However, all species from the fourth hemipteroid order, the Hemiptera (bugs, cicadas, aphids, and kin), have the putative ancestral gene arrangement of hexapods.’
- 1.1hemiptera Insects of the order "Hemiptera" ; true bugs.‘in many hemiptera the wings are held together in flight’
- ‘The hemiptera, however, are the ‘true’ bugs of the insect world, having distinct features that set them apart from other insect orders.’
- ‘One I saw today was covered with small red hemiptera (true bugs) that looked like box elder bugs.’
- ‘Following KRP Singh's pioneering research in 1967, a large number of cell lines from diptera, hemiptera, and lepidopteran insects were established and characterized in India.’
- ‘There are about 82,000 species of hemiptera worldwide, with about 12,000 species in the United States and Canada.’
Modern Latin (plural), from Greek hēmi- ‘half’ + pteron ‘wing’ (because of the forewing structure, partly hardened at the base and partly membranous).
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.