Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
1A powerful tenor voice suitable for heroic roles in opera.as modifier ‘a bel canto Heldentenor role’
- ‘The demands of the Heldentenor repertoire are such that the baritone colour, baritone weight to the voice, is what it takes to get past the orchestra and make the character a little more believable.’
- 1.1 A singer with a Heldentenor voice.‘a promising young American Heldentenor’
- ‘Anyone attempting to compare Domingo's voice on record to those of the great Heldentenors makes a fool of himself, and possibly others.’
- ‘Even if he lacks the vocal heft or tonal allure of a true Heldentenor, he has stamina to spare, and his musings about his dead mother were touching.’
- ‘The problem is that some Heldentenors are fine at projecting roles such as Tristan, but aren't natural narrators.’
- ‘Robert Dean Smith is a Heldentenor with a lyrical quality to his voice, which makes his interpretations of Wagner movingly beautiful even in their heaviest moments.’
- ‘I had the tune right there, playing in my head, but to sing in front of one of the hottest young generation Heldentenors is something only few would dare.’
- ‘He asks for a Heldentenor as well as a ‘normal’ tenor, the first representing St. John who announces his vision in carillon-like music and who narrates, the second used for various characters and lyrical commentary.’
- ‘You are now one of the world's most sought-after young Heldentenors.’
- ‘Like all Heldentenors, Heppner interprets operatic knights of every sort, and he focused on the dilemmas of seven very different ones here, heroic statements from operas by Haydn, Massenet, Mozart, Weber, Wagner, and Strauss.’
1920s: German, literally ‘hero tenor’.
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.