Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
1Muhammad's departure from Mecca to Medina in ad 622, marking the consolidation of the first Muslim community.
- 1.1The Muslim era reckoned from Muhammad's departure from Mecca.‘the second century of the Hegira’See also AH
- ‘In the third year of the Hijra, news went wild that the Prophet was martyred.’
- ‘Due to the lunar nature of the Arabic calendar, known as the Hijra calendar, festivals do not fall on the same days each year in the Western world.’
- ‘Was it a matter of coincidence, therefore, that his's research on Arab critical currents in the fourth century of the Hejira started while he was introducing Western theory into critical discourse?’
- 1.2An exodus or migration.
- ‘Oswald was also an ideal person to lead the hegira up to Lincoln Center in 1965.’
- ‘The Hijra of the Prophet took place in 622 not 1622.’
- ‘The journey to Medina - the hegira (the ‘breaking of former ties’) - became the true foundation of the Islamic faith.’
- ‘They had delayed their hegira to their summer home in North Carolina in order to attend the dinner.’
- ‘The Muslim calendar is dated from the year of the Hijra (or hegira, as it is sometimes spelt in older English texts).’
- ‘She also made reference to being ‘cross-examined’ on a hour-long radio show shortly before her hegira to safety.’
- 1.1The Muslim era reckoned from Muhammad's departure from Mecca.
Late 16th century: via medieval Latin from Arabic hijra departure, from hajara emigrate.
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.