One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
1A medieval guild of merchants.
- ‘Kogge is a rather crude simulation of Hanse trade.’
- ‘As we noted in Part III, in northern Europe, the city league known as the Hanse became the dominant unit in this region, while in southern Europe, the Italian city-states flourished.’
- ‘The Hanse merchants were a special case, and could have their own base in Lynn.’
- ‘He continued to expand his horizons: in 1405 he was exporting large quantities of barley, oats, and wheat; and in 1412 he was trading with the Hanse and Norway.’
- ‘During Elizabeth's reign they succeeded in seeing off the challenge of the Hanse, but protests against their monopoly persisted and the advocates of free trade gained ground.’
- 1.1 The Hanseatic League.
- 1.2 A fee payable to a guild of merchants.
Middle English: from Old French hanse ‘guild, company’, from Old High German hansa ‘company, troop’.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.