One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A member of a people of mixed European and Khoikhoi origin, living mainly in the Eastern and Western Cape provinces of South Africa.as modifier ‘set out with Griqua guides’
- ‘Diamonds were found in 1867-8, in an area occupied by Griquas, Koranmas, and some Afrikaners.’
- ‘The Griqua were to see little of the wealth that was to be generated from the enormous diamond mines.’
- ‘He was a remarkable leader whose vision has guided and united the Griqua people for 100 years.’
- ‘A group of Griqua sold their lands in the Orange River Valley to Boers and migrated across the Drakensberg into land depopulated by the Zulus.’
- ‘Three histories and a novel lie open in front of me, all having to do with the Griqua people of South Africa.’
The name in Nama.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.