Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
[mass noun] The mean solar time at the Greenwich meridian, adopted as the standard time in a zone that includes the British Isles.
- ‘Blast-off is scheduled for 11: 36 pm Pacific Standard Time on Wednesday, February 25th, 7: 36 Greenwich Mean Time, Thursday, February 26.’
- ‘For a while, local time and London time co-existed uneasily side by side: then in 1880, an Act of Parliament made Greenwich Mean Time the legal time for the whole of Britain.’
- ‘The current time is 06: 47 PM Greenwich Mean Time.’
- ‘Universal Time, UTC (which is effectively the same as Greenwich Mean Time, GMT) may be read from the atomic clock at the US Naval Observatory.’
- ‘Mean Solar Time at the Greenwich Meridian is called GMT (Greenwich Mean Time) or UT.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.