One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A dog of a very large, powerful, short-haired breed.
- ‘This year there was a large contingent of Great Danes and Mastiffs.’
- ‘Opening the door Caroline walked in to be greeted by her dog Apollo, who was a Great Dane and looked ferocious because of his black fur.’
- ‘Because this breed is intelligent, Great Danes are easy to train.’
- ‘Large, powerful dogs are frequently targeted, including Akitas, chow chows, Dalmatians, Dobermans, German Shepherds, Great Danes, pit bulls, Rottweilers as well as mixes of these breeds.’
- ‘The City Police Dog Squad has 21 dogs belonging to five different breeds - nine Labrador Retrievers, six Dobermann Pinschers, three German Shepherds, two Great Danes and a Rottweiler.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.