Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A numerical code used in computing in which consecutive integers are represented by binary numbers differing in only one digit.
- ‘He popularized the application of Gray codes to puzzle solving.’
- ‘Unusual number system bases and Gray codes are described in detail in two chapters.’
- ‘The standard remedy is an alternative to the ordinary binary numbers called a Gray code, which replaces the cliffs with gentler slopes.’
- ‘The geometry is intriguing, and there are interesting connections with Gray codes and even with the I Ching, but I'm not so sure that biologists will find the concept useful.’
- ‘The gray code is sometimes referred to as reflected binary, because the first eight values compare with those of the last 8 values, but in reverse order.’
Mid 20th century: named after Frank Gray (1887–1969), American physicist.
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.