One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
The Friday before Easter Sunday, on which the Crucifixion of Christ is commemorated in the Christian Church. It is traditionally a day of fasting and penance.
- ‘On Good Friday the group of 11 took part in the challenge to boost funds for the Tsunami Appeal.’
- ‘The airport pub was always a port of call for many on a Good Friday, when it was one of the few bars that could legally open.’
- ‘But Good Friday was a lovely day and maybe lots of children went to the seaside instead.’
- ‘The ceremonies continued on Good Friday and came to a close on Easter Saturday night.’
- ‘The only four days when they would not be in use would be Christmas and Boxing days, Good Friday and Easter Monday.’
- ‘Now I am hoping to perform the Chaconne with chorales on Good Friday in our small church.’
- ‘On Good Friday, a religious day, I walked my dog as usual in our local park.’
- ‘Her passing was truly an Easter death - poised between Good Friday and Easter Day.’
- ‘I do not agree with trading on Christmas Day or Good Friday, and I have made that quite clear.’
- ‘This is part of a series which will continue every Friday night until Good Friday.’
- ‘The only days on which play did not take place were Christmas Day and Good Friday.’
- ‘If Good Friday and Easter Monday occur outside the standard break they are taken as a freestanding long weekend.’
- ‘On Good Friday, mid-table Cheltenham came to town hoping to improve on a run of five defeats in their last six games.’
- ‘As Good Friday is a public holiday, the only people parking in the roads were residents and their families.’
- ‘On Good Friday she dropped in on her parents but left in a hurry without saying goodbye to her mother.’
- ‘Children can take part in an Easter Trail on Good Friday and Easter Sunday at East Riddlesden Hall.’
- ‘The only days the shop closed were Good Friday and Christmas Day, when papers weren't published.’
- ‘A nationwide road safety campaign was carried out from Good Friday to Easter Monday.’
- ‘Given that Jesus died for our sins on Good Friday, during Lent sin is also given attention.’
- ‘In other moves, racecourse betting will be allowed on Good Friday and Christmas Day for the first time.’
From good, in the sense ‘holy, observed as a holy day’.
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.