Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
1(in the Bible) an Israelite leader, described in Judges 6:11 ff.
2A member of Gideons International.
- ‘The Gideons provide Bibles, in about 70 languages, for schools and hotels all over the world.’
- ‘He is a member of the well-known Bible-distributing organization, the Gideons.’
- ‘In lieu of flowers, donations may be made to the Gideons or to a charity of one's choice.’
- ‘He praises the Gideons, then advises: ‘They should leave not only Bibles, but other sacred writings as well.’’
- ‘Maybe Gary didn't mention this but we're the ones who have the development deal with the Gideons.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.