One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
(in the UK and Commonwealth countries) a medal for bravery awarded especially to civilians, instituted with the George Cross in 1940.
- ‘Four George Medals went to that gallant band of explosives officers who all defused a number of devices, one of them being killed.’
- ‘The result was that the George Medal was introduced as a ‘junior’ to the George Cross.’
- ‘Henderson had been awarded a George Medal during the Mau Mau war in Kenya.’
- ‘Other decorations awarded to the Home Guards included thirteen George Medals and two George Crosses, both posthumous.’
- ‘The Australian War Memorial says both the George Cross and George Medals are recognised under cultural heritage laws and cannot be taken out of the country without permission.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.