Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
1mass noun An English creole spoken by blacks in parts of South Carolina and Georgia.Compare with Gullah
2A speaker of Geechee.
- ‘Of all of the blacks in America, of all the African Americans living in America right now, the only ones that still have its originality, who still have its culture, who still has its language, is the Gullahs and the Geechees.’
- ‘My great grandmother with her black skin and her blue eyes tells me that we are Geechees from the Georgia sea islands, Geechees descended from a Portuguese pirate and a Spanish Jewish woman.’
- ‘During enslavement, Gullahs and Geechees were not allowed to write or read.’
- ‘Today, the Gullahs and Geechees tend to live along the coasts of South Carolina, North Carolina, Georgia and Florida.’
- ‘It documents the cultures from which Gullahs and Geechees sprang.’
- ‘It was not until Gullahs and Geechees decided to take pride in their own language no matter what others had to say about it that people began ‘studying’ their existence and endurance.’
- ‘The Gullah, who are also known as the Geechee in some parts of the South, are descended from slaves specifically brought from West Africa (now Liberia, Sierra Leone and Senegal) because of their familiarity with farming rice and cotton.’
- ‘The history of Geechees and Gullahs on Georgia, South Carolina, and North Florida islands goes back almost two centuries.’
- ‘Gullahs and Geechees once dominated the coastal Low Country.’
- ‘However, there are the others through which the fortitude of the first Gullahs and Geechees still lives.’
- ‘My father explained that, ‘We are Gullah people but they used to call us Geechees.’’
From the name of the O geechee River, in Georgia, US.
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.