Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
- another term for normal distribution
- ‘In order to solve concrete problems Aleksandrov had to replace the Gaussian geometry of regular surfaces by a much more general theory.’
- ‘In a random matrix, the rows and columns are filled with numbers randomly selected from a normal, or Gaussian, distribution.’
- ‘However, the error bound is based on the assumption that the errors are distributed according to a normal or Gaussian probability distribution.’
- ‘The distance and angle frequency distributions were not Gaussian and were calculated on the basis of entities of different sizes.’
- ‘The intensity, width, and center of the diffraction peaks were obtained from a fit with a Gaussian bell curve.’
Early 20th century: named after Karl Gauss(see Gauss, Karl Friedrich), who described it.
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.