One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A girl or young woman.
young woman, young lady, missView synonyms
- ‘What I need is something custom designed for a gal and her dogs.’
- ‘That said, you don't want to be the constant tag-along gal.’
- ‘If Augusta did decide to admit women, which is fine by me, it's safe to say the guys would play with guys and gals with gals, like they do everywhere else.’
- ‘It was an endless procession of loin-cloth strapped lads and gals.’
- ‘Usually, it's just me and the gals, and we do gossip and girl stuff.’
- ‘Hot on the fast lane to stardom, the young guys and gals are wracking brains, boggling minds.’
- ‘Some may say that exchanging gifts in the hall is a bad idea, but some gal's squeeze may not be embarrassed to have a soft side and hand her a couple of pink carnations in front of the whole student body.’
- ‘As you can see, these Baby Boomer basketball gals have their high-top Chucks on and they're ready to go!’
- ‘This guy could barely see the cards sometimes but still he is chatting up young gal.’
- ‘And they'll - people'll see, they'll say, I salute that guy or gal.’
- ‘Because it's tough getting every gal in the crew to stay on the serious-minded track - your study sesh is likely to morph into more of a full-on fun-fest.’
- ‘The amusing thing about this, to me, is that the night before I was hosting a travelling anarchist gal who has been going around the country interviewing anarchist and radical women for a film she's making.’
- ‘Pedal pushers and prom queens, floral corsages and full skirts, gingham checks and clinched waists - all were the essence of Fifties style, of a time when girls were gals and boys were teddies.’
- ‘If your sister is a bell-bottoms and crop-tops kind of a gal, try wearing dresses for a change.’
- ‘Blond and cheerful - she was a blue-jeans-and-T-shirt kind of gal, and the ‘wild one’ of the twins.’
- ‘Even more troubling, what does it mean that we find the very idea that feminism might have reached beyond the gals and dames to be so inconceivable?’
- ‘I'm a pretty social gal, so I feel like I'm always coming home, scooping up the dog, inviting him out, and when he says no, leaving without him to go do something more fun than sitting in our tiny apartment.’
- ‘So you see, that German fish isn't doing much to impress this ole Texas gal and I know they didn't sling that sucker up in the back of a pick-up and run down to the paper office to have their picture made.’
- ‘As a city gal who usually dates younger guys, she found that the high quotient of divorced fathers living quiet lives in the country or suburbs made connecting tough.’
- ‘When you think of the situation, you're talking about a pretty huge athlete and a petite young gal.’
- ‘Why is it okay for dudes to flirt with all kinds of gals but when a gal does it they think we're hooches?’
- ‘A lot of other guys, and gals from school are going to be there too.’
- ‘It's a tough problem - especially for gals - that doesn't get talked about much.’
- ‘I remained close with the new gals until high school, when our communication slowly dissipated.’
- ‘I'm a very practical gal, who borders on full-time cynic.’
- ‘I am so an eat-to-live kinda gal, unless Matthew cooks or takes me out, when I transform into a live-to-eat kinda gal (and sometimes the kind of girl that wears heels).’
- ‘I've emailed the gal but haven't seen a change on her site yet.’
- ‘Young guys and gals in sparkling evening wear added a dash of charm.’
- ‘This good-time gal pushes men away while flashing a come-hither look; they have to decide whether the light in her eyes is red or green.’
- ‘Even with the help of his Lordship's daughter, a pretty young gal named Truly, the treats are rejected.’
- ‘The gals sit at a designated table (in my case, designated by a number on my name badge), and the guys move from table to table, talking to each woman for a set amount of time - five minutes in this case.’
- ‘One young gal is the unfortunate recipient of a lobster claw lancing before being electrocuted via her hoop earrings.’
- ‘Whatever change-a-roo you want to do, there are 10 no-fail secrets to becoming a great new gal - while sticking to the true-blue you.’
- ‘You're definitely an all-around thoughtful gal.’
- ‘So, miss, what's a lovely young gal doing out here in the middle of this god-forsaken nomad's land?’
- ‘I was too much of a tomboy, the gal that all the guys loved.’
- ‘But I did meet a couple of hot local gals (sisters at that!) and had fun trying to work one of the staff for a date, I would say it is worth a visit but would not make it my prime destination.’
- ‘Call me sentimental, but I'm going to miss the old gal.’
- ‘Figuring she's the kind of gal who's turned on by a high roller, he uses the home of the Korean lobbyist he's working for to throw a loud, lurid party in her honor.’
- ‘Curly-haired girls want straight hair; straight-haired gals want curly hair.’
Late 18th century: representing a pronunciation.
A unit of gravitational acceleration equal to one centimetre per second per second.
Early 20th century: named after Galileo Galilei.
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.