Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
The Earth personified as a goddess, daughter of Chaos. She was the mother and wife of Uranus (Heaven); their offspring included the Titans and the Cyclops.
2The earth viewed as a vast self-regulating organism (see Gaia hypothesis).
the natural world, nature, the living world, the world, the earth, the ecosystem, the biosphere, mother nature, gaiaView synonyms
- ‘But the life span of Gaia has to be measured in hundreds of millions, even in billions, of years.’
- ‘Working in harmony with Nature, our growth and transformation can evolve us beyond Gaia, into the cosmic whole and possibly home.’
- ‘Until we do, Gaia, the spirit of the living earth, is an idea to think about rather than an idea to think with.’
- ‘He advocated its use to alter the insect life of earth in order to venture beyond the homeostasis concept to the mythical state of Gaia.’
- ‘If Gaia didn't luck upon the right system for that problem on the first try, things would quickly become grim.’
Greek, Earth. Gaia was coined by James Lovelock, at the suggestion of the writer William Golding.
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.