One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
An animal of a black-and-white breed of chiefly dairy cattle originally from Friesland.
- ‘The bucket fed Friesians sold from £30 to over £60 for the good ones.’
- ‘Doug acquired him from a friend that owns a ranch that breeds Friesians and said he'd sell him to me.’
- ‘But Dan and his son Noel have 200 cows, and like the Benson farm in Victoria, they're all Friesians.’
- ‘Maintaining milk supply in suckler herds is a problem where the influence of the Friesian is declining.’
- ‘But there were lovely cattle, as clean as something out of Disney World, blinking unhappily in the sun, angular, huge-uddered Friesians, and black Aberdeen Angus.’
- ‘A lot of two Friesians weighing 347 kilograms sold for €490.’
- ‘The first Friesians were big milk cows not too different from the Holstein of today, but udders were not so good.’
- ‘Shorthorn cattle are now suitable for the climate in Kosovo, so the chosen cows are black and white Friesians.’
- ‘They're all individuals, as different as a Friesian is from a Holstein.’
- ‘The college dairy farm supplies liquid milk all the year round to Dawn Dairies from a top class herd of pedigree Friesians.’
- ‘A lot of seven 376 kg Friesians made €740.’
- ‘The trade for the quality bullocks remains brisk and there was a marked improvement in Friesians and plainer bullocks.’
- ‘The battlements are crumbling, the turrets are wobbly and Daisy, the Friesian, is dry!’
- ‘How did you know she is a Friesian?.’
- ‘They have combined excellent fertility with good production and their breeding ability is akin to British Friesians.’
- ‘In addition, the cattle incubated the disease longer because they ate bonemeal from 6 days old, rather than the more usual 6 months, and were slaughtered later because they were slower-growing Friesians.’
- ‘The classic black-and-white Friesian is a dairy industry success story.’
1920s: alteration of Frisian.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.