Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
1A French roll.
2A pleat at the top of a curtain consisting of three smaller pleats.
- ‘Options include French pleats, shirred headings, smocked headings, box pleats and goblet pleats, which give a consistent appearance for a traditional window treatment or serve as an unobtrusive backdrop for room furnishings.’
- ‘However, remember to keep your window treatments simple, using either French pleats or eyelets.’
- ‘Headings, most of which are now available ready-made include pencil pleats, French pleats, and box pleats.’
- ‘Goblet pleats do not stack as tight as French pleats.’
- ‘From the classic pencil pleat to the artistic and dramatic French pleat and goblet pleat - there is a style to suit your taste and dress your window with flair.’
- ‘Pencil pleats are made by gathering and sewing the top of the drape into tight, small pleats and French pleats are created in tightly pleated groups of three spaced evenly apart.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.