One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A shirt cuff that is folded back before fastening, creating a double-layered cuff.
- ‘Finally, with suit in hand, we found a dapper shirt with French cuffs and a sharp-looking tie and went home for a fashion show.’
- ‘When choosing your tuxedo shirt, try to select one with French cuffs, which fold up and are fastened with cufflinks.’
- ‘I don't know if any of you out there have noticed, but he has been wearing French cuffs with gold cufflinks lately.’
- ‘Avoid long-sleeved shirts with full cut arms and French cuffs.’
- ‘Finally, French cuffs are always an elegant and refined touch.’
- ‘I have paired them with a long black skirt, my pink shirt with French cuffs, a dark pink suede jacket and the requisite pearls.’
- ‘In hip-hop fashion speak, that means guys aren't shopping at Torre for just sweats and jeans, but for two-piece linens, French cuff dress shirts, tailored suits and ties.’
- ‘This tuxedo shirt features French cuffs perfect for your heirloom cufflinks.’
- ‘The only development of note was that French cuffs have virtually disappeared for boys’ wear.’
- ‘At Landsend.com, you can quickly custom-design a china-blue dress shirt with French cuffs and then see it on a computer model with your body shape and hair color.’
- ‘Ackourey recommends the timeless navy striped suit with white shirt, French cuffs and a burgundy tie.’
- ‘He says casual days in Austin might be slowing as more men want to return to French cuffs and cuff links.’
- ‘A friend gave me a light-blue striped shirt with French cuffs for Christmas, and I've worn it with a black suit and with blue jeans and a navy pinstripe velvet blazer.’
- ‘When you slip into a shirt with French cuffs the first thing you will notice is an extra flap of material, at the end of the sleeves.’
- ‘A tempting choice is on offer with a range of cutaway collars, wing collars and French cuffs.’
- ‘This placement holds the French cuffs in place in much the same way as an ordinary cuff link.’
- ‘If you choose a shirt with French cuffs, be sure to check out our cufflinks section with gold, silver and engraved styles.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.