One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A hard durable plastic laminate used for worktops, cupboard doors, and other surfaces.as modifier ‘a Formica table’
- ‘On the other side of the room, four wall pieces were made of multicolored Formica mounted on board.’
- ‘Solid-surface counter tops have replaced Formica, and plastic partitions have replaced the rusted metal.’
- ‘Most people in the United States and Canada are familiar with laminate counter tops, such as Formica.’
- ‘To fill these unique homes, unique furnishings were needed and aiding designers of the time was a host of new materials to work with: plastic, vinyl, fiberglass, aluminum, PVC and Formica.’
- ‘With layers of paint applied to Formica over plywood, the surface has become matte black with the exception of one long, shiny black stripe that streaks down the middle of the work.’
1920s (originally US): of unknown origin.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.