Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A collection of writings published in honour of a scholar.‘on his sixtieth birthday he received a Festschrift with contributions from over thirty colleagues’
- ‘It was the custom in Europe for a great professor to be presented with a Festschrift filled with writings by his students and admirers.’
- ‘This is a superior Festschrift, filled with fresh ideas, and eminently well deserved.’
- ‘This special issue of the Canadian Journal of Experimental Psychology comprises a Festschrift, summarizing those proceedings, in honour of Herr Professor Doctor Brooks.’
- ‘This Festschrift set a challenging goal before its contributors: to see how artifacts aid in interpreting texts, and texts artifacts.’
- ‘This book is intended to be both a Festschrift prepared by former students of Father O'Malley and a textbook for university courses dealing with sixteenth- and seventeenth-century European history.’
- ‘Family Therapy around the World: A Festschrift for Florence W. Kaslow is a wonderful tribute to and legacy of an amazing, seemingly ubiquitous woman.’
- ‘If an American New Testament scholar ever deserved a Festschrift, Frederick Danker would stand close to the top of the list.’
- ‘I can't finish without a public ‘thank you’ to Jim for all his efforts at the time of my retirement: editorship of Archaeology of Eastern North America, my own Festschrift.’
- ‘Recently he has been honored by a Festschrift titled A God So Near, assembled by his former students, with contributions representative of the best scholarship by colleagues of his generation.’
- ‘Many aspects of his prodigious career are treated in the tributes offered by his friends, fans and collaborators for this Festschrift assembled to honour his 70th year.’
- ‘John Beattie, the pre-eminent historian of English crime and punishment, has already been honoured with an excellent Festschrift.’
- ‘The documentary section is dominated by a complete translation of the 1912 Festschrift, the first discrete publication devoted to Schoenberg.’
- ‘A Festschrift in celebration of his sixtieth birthday was recently published.’
- ‘He has been the recipient of three Festschriften (for his sixtieth, seventieth and eightieth birthdays) and a special edition of the Journal of Modern History.’
- ‘The majority of musical Festschriften (the Festschrift is not, of course, exclusively a musical phenomenon) contain essays written for an influential individual - often a scholar, composer, or performer - by friends and pupils.’
- ‘The remaining essays, despite the editors' protestations that this volume is more thematically coherent than the typical Festschrift, are something of a grab bag.’
- ‘The first issue was subtitled ‘A Festschrift in Honor of James Laughlin, Publisher of New Directions.’’
- ‘As Benjamin Britten remarked in a Festschrift published on Michael Tippett's sixtieth birthday, the birthday boy can feel that he is ‘already dead and that the musicologists are busy on the corpse’.’
- ‘His most important work is a Festschrift for Weierstrass's 70th birthday.’
- ‘Königsberger is also famed for his biography of Helmholtz and his biographical Festschrift for Jacobi.’
Late 19th century: from German, from Fest celebration + Schrift writing.
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.