Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
(in the UK) the member of the House of Commons with the longest continuous service.
- ‘‘I always envisaged him being around long enough in the Commons to eventually be Father of the House,’ said one of his former cabinet colleagues.’
- ‘He was Father of the House of Commons, the longest-serving Member of Parliament, from 1992 until 2001.’
- ‘I feel very sorry for him, who was possibly in line to be Father of the House, but due to the untimely death of his opponent the election in his seat will be delayed for a month.’
- ‘The 71-year-old Father of the House has never received a satisfactory answer to his West Lothian question, but has always sturdily maintained his own independence.’
- ‘The soon to retire Father of the House and a highly active pensioner has typically strident views on this.’
- ‘It was tabled today by the Father of the House, backed by the signatures of nine other Labour MPs.’
- ‘He said: ‘I think I am the first Father of the House ever to have been asked to go from the Chamber and I feel very, very strongly about it.’’
- ‘Parliamentary historians claim the Father of the House is customarily afforded the honour, although governments are not obliged to follow the tradition.’
- ‘He is already Father of the House and, if he hasn't done so already, certainly will have betrayed every ideal he ever held by the end of this term.’
- ‘However, he did manage to mention that he was the Father of the House and that he had contacts with the Queen Mother.’
- ‘Calls for a full inquiry into her allegations have come both from the Conservatives and the Father of the House.’
- ‘He is a moral and ideological bankrupt - but also is the Father of the House.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.