Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
[mass noun] The modern Persian language, the official language of Iran, with over 20 million speakers.[as modifier] ‘a Farsi expression’→ Persian
- ‘This was followed by some travel, including time in Iran, where she taught herself Farsi, the language of the area.’
- ‘Islam and the Arabic language have bequeathed the Arabic alphabet for languages like Farsi, Urdu, Old Hausa and others.’
- ‘Iran's official language is Farsi, which is also known as Persian.’
- ‘Among the immigrant population, English, Hindi, Urdu, Farsi, and Filipino are spoken.’
- ‘The intelligence agencies are woefully short of people fluent in Arabic, Farsi, and Urdu, and this is remediable.’
From Arabic fārsī, from Fārs, from Persian Pārs Persia. Compare with Parsee.
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.