Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
- another term for Ge'ez
- ‘Dedicating himself to the study of various oriental languages - including Persian, Ethiopic, Sanskrit, Zend, Pahlevi and Arabic - Champollion also began work on a dictionary and grammar of the Coptic language.’
- ‘The translation of the Bible into Latin marks the beginning of a parting of the ways between Western Latin-speaking Christianity and Eastern Christianity, which spoke Greek, Syriac, Coptic, Ethiopic, and other languages.’
- ‘As a teenager and adult he studied Hebrew, Arabic, Syriac, Chaldean, Chinese, Coptic, Ethiopic, Sanskrit, Zend, Pahlevi and Persian.’
- ‘As a boy, he also taught himself to read Hebrew, Arabic, Syriac, Chaldean and Chinese, and he would later add Coptic, Ethiopic, Sanskrit, Zend, Pahlevi and Persian.’
- ‘The Ethiopian delegation also circulated elegant 15th-century Psalters written in Ethiopic and used in churches throughout northern and eastern Africa.’
In or relating to Ge'ez.
- ‘Arabic is a Semitic language related to Aramaic, Hebrew, various Ethiopic languages, and others.’
- ‘The Bibles of the Eastern Churches vary considerably: the Ethiopic Orthodox canon includes 81 books and contains many apocalyptic texts, such as were found at Qumran and subsequently excluded from the Jewish canon.’
- ‘The complete text was thought to have perished when it was discovered in two Ethiopic manuscripts in Abyssinia, by the traveller Bruce in 1773.’
- ‘It was not until 1773 that two Ethiopic manuscripts were discovered in Abyssinia.’
Mid 17th century (as an adjective): via Latin from Greek aithiopikos, from Aethiops (see Ethiopia).
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.