Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
(in the UK) an area officially designated as containing landscapes or wildlife that would be threatened by unrestricted development.
- ‘As a result every acre on the farm, that supports not only prize-winning Swaledales, but also about 35 suckler cows, is either in an Environmentally Sensitive Area or is managed through Defra's Countryside Stewardship scheme.’
- ‘The Environmentally Sensitive Areas scheme introduced in 1987 aims to provide broader habitat protection within designated areas.’
- ‘The 36-acre field was already under protection as an Environmentally Sensitive Area and it was difficult for him to keep the grass cut to the designated height.’
- ‘The Department for Environment, Food and Rural Affairs says the establishment of an Environmentally Sensitive Area on the marshes in 1993 has safeguarded wildlife.’
- ‘The moor forms part of a Site of Special Scientific Interest and an international Special Protection Area, in addition to being part of the North Peak Environmentally Sensitive Area.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.