One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
(in the US) a statuette awarded annually to an outstanding television programme or performer.as modifier ‘an Emmy award’
- ‘His work has received countless awards, including eight Emmys.’
- ‘If there's been anything predictable about the Emmys recently, it's that they're not always predictable.’
- ‘He has won two Emmys for Outstanding Game Show Host.’
- ‘Take, for example, the shows that are getting accolades and Emmys.’
- ‘This year, a satirical chat show, The Daily Show, with Jon Stewart, was awarded two Emmys.’
- ‘It was the first show to use satellite feeds and stop-action sequences, and it won four Emmys its first year.’
- ‘Currently nominated for four Emmys, the program has won 17 Emmy Awards and has been nominated for 85 since its debut.’
- ‘According to my sources, the Emmys - the Oscars of television - are going to be hosted by no less than seven comedians.’
- ‘Multiple awards including an Academy Award, an Academy Award nomination and three Emmys have honored his work.’
- ‘There she served as executive producer for a number of co-productions with partners, including the BBC, and won three international Emmys.’
- ‘He holds court behind his large desk, surrounded by his many Emmys.’
- ‘These writers, who should have even more Emmys than they do, can make anything hilarious.’
- ‘The show has earned 12 Emmys, one for Outstanding Comedy Series.’
- ‘It was the second time that the Emmys, the television industry's highest honours and its equivalent of the Oscars, had been postponed in three weeks.’
- ‘It's won four Emmys for outstanding drama series and it's weighing in with about eight million viewers this season.’
- ‘As part of this, I work as a script consultant on movies and television shows and have won several Emmys.’
- ‘His collaborations were honoured with many Bafta, RTS and Emmy nominations and awards.’
1940s: said to be from Immy, short for image orthicon tube (a kind of television camera tube).
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.