Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
Relating to Elea, an ancient Greek city in SW Italy, or the school of philosophers which flourished there in about the 5th century bc, including Xenophanes, Parmenides, and Zeno.
- ‘Founder of the Eleatic school of philosophy, Xenophanes was a native of Colophon, and born about 570 BCE.’
- ‘The original atomist theory was a response to the Eleatic school of Parmenides, Zeno, and Melissus of Samos.’
- ‘It is here that the Eleatic influence became visible.’
- ‘Parmenides was a Greek philosopher and poet, born of an illustrious family about BCE. 510, at Elea in Lower Italy, and is is the chief representative of the Eleatic philosophy.’
- ‘That country was also the home of Eleatic doctrine of the One, called after the town of Elea, the headquarters of the school.’
An Eleatic philosopher.
- ‘The Eleatics, particularly Parmenides, appear to have been the first to do so.’
- ‘Cosmopolitanism as an ideal in the West is conventionally regarded as a legacy of Stoicism, a movement of which Zeno of Citium, the Cypriot rather than the Eleatic, is conventionally regarded as the founder.’
- ‘While Plato may consider the objects of perception in some way inferior to the noêta, unlike the Eleatics, he does not dispute their existence.’
- ‘The Eleatics, for example, had been compelled to deny that senses give one any access to the truth, since to the world of sense, with its multitude and change, they allowed only a phenomenal existence.’
- ‘There are no eternally enduring substances; matter is just another such error as the God of the Eleatics.’
Late 17th century: from Latin Eleaticus, from Elea.
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.